PT Cruiser Network

PT Cruiser Network

Pulling a trailer weighing 1,300 pounds with 2006 PT Cruyiser

We are new to the club.  We have a 2006 PT Cruiser convertible with 50,000 miles on it.  We would like to know if we could pull our pop-up trailer which weighs loaded 1,500 pounds with a 175 pound tongue weight.  Our car has an automatic transmission.  

Views: 1524

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

First, welcome to the group. I hope you have as many good times with your PT as we have. This March will make 10 years that we've been part of the PT craziness.

To your question, I personally wouldn't try to pull your camper with the PT. You don't mention if you have a turbo or not, but either way its not just whether or not you can pull the trailer down the road, but also if you can stop it as well. Trailer brakes may help a bit (I think here in Maine they're required on trailers 1500 lbs and over.) We had a 1988 Coleman Laramie that we bought new, and sold it in 2008. We put about 13000 miles on it in the 20 yrs we had it, but nowadays "roughing it" is when the Jacuzzi is not in the same room. So we let a younger couple with 3 kids start making some memories with it.

We used Voyagers, Caravans and a Jeep Cherokee to pull our trailer. The first Caravan was a 2.2 liter four with 5-speed manual. It was okay, but there was some struggle on acceleration and a lot of shifting. The Laramie weighed in at 1000 lbs and had no brakes. We replaced the Caravan with a Voyager with the 3.0 liter six and was much better. The PT convertible weighs about 3300 lbs without people and luggage. The listed max tow rating for all PTs is 1000 lbs...add the car plus the trailer plus people and luggage, and compare it with the GVWR listed on the door sticker. I have a 4x8 utility trailer that I pull with one of our PTs. It can carry 800-900 lbs. satisfactorily. 

Another thing to consider is the frontal area of the trailer. Most campers are at least 6-6.5 ft wide to accommodate the length of the bunks. The PT is only about 5'7" wide so there's a certain amount of wind resistance on the sides.

My 2 cents.

Jim W.

Jim Ward said:

First, welcome to the group. I hope you have as many good times with your PT as we have. This March will make 10 years that we've been part of the PT craziness.

To your question, I personally wouldn't try to pull your camper with the PT. You don't mention if you have a turbo or not, but either way its not just whether or not you can pull the trailer down the road, but also if you can stop it as well. Trailer brakes may help a bit (I think here in Maine they're required on trailers 1500 lbs and over.) We had a 1988 Coleman Laramie that we bought new, and sold it in 2008. We put about 13000 miles on it in the 20 yrs we had it, but nowadays "roughing it" is when the Jacuzzi is not in the same room. So we let a younger couple with 3 kids start making some memories with it.

We used Voyagers, Caravans and a Jeep Cherokee to pull our trailer. The first Caravan was a 2.2 liter four with 5-speed manual. It was okay, but there was some struggle on acceleration and a lot of shifting. The Laramie weighed in at 1000 lbs and had no brakes. We replaced the Caravan with a Voyager with the 3.0 liter six and was much better. The PT convertible weighs about 3300 lbs without people and luggage. The listed max tow rating for all PTs is 1000 lbs...add the car plus the trailer plus people and luggage, and compare it with the GVWR listed on the door sticker. I have a 4x8 utility trailer that I pull with one of our PTs. It can carry 800-900 lbs. satisfactorily. 

Another thing to consider is the frontal area of the trailer. Most campers are at least 6-6.5 ft wide to accommodate the length of the bunks. The PT is only about 5'7" wide so there's a certain amount of wind resistance on the sides.

My 2 cents.

Jim W.

Don't try it. Your motor will boil over, .trust me.You may be able to cool the motor down if you could increase your water capacity and added a large transmission cooler .We replaced our motor in our 06 convertible with only 35,000 miles on it And had the head replaced in our 01 with less then 50,000,.cooling related.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2022   Created by Terry.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service